Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Life in Trujillo


December 12, 2011

Okay so this week I have been thinking a lot about service. My family has always done a lot of service and it is usually our focus during this time of year, but this year it is going to be different type of service for me. I only get to serve like this once in a lifetime.

So I heard from a young single adult in our ward that my family made it on the Turk’s blog- Dec 6 post.  I would love a copy.


Details about everyday life in Trujillo for the curious-

I am served 3 pieces of bread for breakfast and dinner and I have a huge plate of rice for lunch.  (I might come home 200 pounds- Just kidding, good thing we walk everywhere)


But the food is delicious and I love it.  I usually have fried eggs with the bread. which is great.  Last night our eggs had cut up hot dogs in them inside a bun- it was kind of interesting. So this chicken was my dinner. :)  

We do indeed have pollo or chick everyday. and when we are lucky we have carne or meat. Their version of a hamburger is sad--not real Barker Beef.

And this is what the markets look like.











And I love pulp; or as Parker calls it -plurp.  But it isn’t normal orange juice it is peach nector.  It is so good, full of sugars but I love it.

We did get to eat out on our last p day -- KFC, it’s pretty similar.

Yes Parker there are dogs everywhere but you know what? Heavenly Father is blessing me; I haven’t had one problem with them. They all just walk right past me-so funny.  All they do is eat garbage from the streets. I am teaching orlando, edita, jacquline, josue,  and rosa. pray for them k? And what I want for Christmas is to talk to you!!

So I have learned some things this week. I have learned that the Peruvians version of salad is any vegetable or fruit, cut up and put it a bowl--no lettuce necessary and that the tastes don’t even have to go together.  Also I learned that no roof houses are really awesome until it rains. It rained this past week, which was a big deal, because it was the talk of the town the next day. Our bedroom has a roof, but the hallway doesn’t.  So we walked out our bedroom door to puddles. haha slippery fun!

Another lesson was that driving is crazy here, the taxis just go for it- risky business. When my companion learned that I knew how to drive she was shocked and thought that I was way smart.  And when I said one of my favorite things was driving around with my windows down listening to music, she was like. you do both at the same time. hahaha!

And another thing that I have learned over the past couple of weeks is that commitments don’t mean anything.  They can say they will be there, or that time means something- but it doesn’t.  Reading or coming to church is no big deal.  One more: We don’t know whining in the states.  People here can’t say anything without whining its annoying.

So our investigators are pretty great. Orlando and Edita are one couple that we have been working with a lot lately and by some miracle, we got them to church yesterday. Pray for Edita please, she needs her heart softened so she will stop attending her other church and be baptized.  Orlando has accepted baptism and everything from day one.  He is so great. He wears this sweater with an American flag on it.  Its so great!! His whole face lights up when he sees us through the door.

So here are some scriptures to read this week: Hel. 10 and proverbs 31 for the women.  They’re so great!  This is the kind of woman I want to be. Also I can’t stress enough how much I LOVE this general conference issue of the Ensign.  I suggest reading it by topic- there is a list in the beginning. Every day study a different topic. I love it. SO POWERFUL!!

MUCH LOVE!!!
Thanks for all your prayers and support.

H. Sandstrom!!

PS: There is american music here. ah so bad! And thanks for sending ‘Dear elder’ letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment